Department of English
417 Barnard Hall
New York, NY 10027
Department Chair: Prof. Lisa Gordis
Sarah Pasadino, Administrator
Rio Santisteban, Department Assistant
PLEASE NOTE: The Barnard Department of English does not teach how to read or speak the language of English. For information on Columbia University-affiliated programs which teach the reading, writing, or speaking of English, visit our Quick Links page.
Links to English Faculty News:
- Current, on the right of our Home Page under "Announcements" (after the "Events")
- Less recent
Barnard English Department in the News:
- The Columbia Daily Spectator announced English as the most currently popular major at Barnard and commends the department for offering the most concerned and helpful advising program. Of their 11 "Great Courses," three are offered by the Barnard English Department: Jennie Kassanoff’s American Fiction, Bashir Abu-Manneh’s Cultures of Colonialism, and Mary Gordon’s writing classes.
- Joseph Berger observed in his article in The New York Times (September 19, 2007) that "Barnard has helped an exceptionally large group of women become distinguished contemporary writers."
For information about local Literary Events, visit the links below:
- sponsored or affiliated with Barnard's English Department
- other on-campus presenters
- off-campus presenters
page last updated 8/3/15
English Main Menu
Left Column Copy
Sulzberger Parlor is on the third floor & The James Room is on the fourth floor of Barnard Hall (on Barnard's campus).