Literature & Poetry

Barnard & CU student writers, showcase your work at Echoes' Open Mic Night!

RICHARD PANEK, currently teaching Creative Non-Fiction in the Creative Writing Program at Barnard, will be explaining the universe in 35 minutes next Monday, when he appears at Book Culture to talk about his new book.

In recent years, a handful of scientists have been racing to explain a disturbing aspect of our universe: Only 4 percent of it consists of the matter that makes up you, me, our books, and every planet, star, and galaxy.  The rest—96 percent—is completely unknown.  Richard Panek tells the dramatic story of how astronomers reached this cosmos-shattering conclusion, and how they’re currently inventing ways to try to find "dark" matter and an even more bizarre substance called dark energy.

Women Poets at Barnard presents an evening of readings by the award-winning American poets.