- Deadline is over for the Barnard English Department Writing Prizes. Visit the Student Opporunity Page for details.
- The on-line sign-up for Fall, 2014 Junior Colloquia & Senior Seminars for English majors is over. Students now can only be added to a waitlist until the fall. Please contact Lucy Coolidge, [lcoolidg(at)barnard(dot)edu] if you have questions.
- Sign-up sheets for other restricted-enrollment spring English and Film courses are on the bulletin boards between 403 and 406 Barnard Hall and will be taken down as they fill up. Questions? Contact the English Office (email@example.com).
- Thursday, April 17th by 4 pm: Independent Study or Senior Special Project forms must be completed and turned in TO THE ENGLISH OFFICE (not the Registrar).
- Monday, April 21st (4 p.m.), Portfolios for majors applying to concentrate in Creative Writing who expect to graduate in May 2015. Questions about Barnard's creative writing courses or majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing should be directed to Timea Szell, Director of the Creative Writing Program.
- August 26th: Writing samples with cover applications for any of Barnard's FALL 2014 Creative Writing courses are due by 4 p.m. Class lists will be posted as we receive them.
- ENGL BC 3118: Advanced Poetry Writing I will meet on Wednesdays at 11am instead of on Thursdays as indicated in the 1st printing of the Fall course "Blue Packets."
- ENGL BC 3123x Rhetorical Choices will meet MW 10:10-11:25 instead of slightly later as indicated in the 1st printing of the Fall course "Blue Packets."
- ENGL BC 3155: Canterbury Tales will meet MW 4:10 instead of on T Th as listed in the initial "Blue Packets."
- ENGL BC 3997.3: Senior Seminar "Poets and Correspondences" will meet on Wednesdays at 9 am instead of on Thursdays as indicated in the 1st printing of the Fall course "Blue Packets."
CHANGE IN ENROLLMENT PROCEDURE:
The following fall courses are now L-courses, and signing up for them is handled by the Registrar directly and NOT have a sign-up sheet in the department this semester. Enrollment is still capped, but you must sign up on line instead. Please read the following list carefully:
- ENGL BC3097 & 3098: The English Conference (fall & spring)
- ENGL BC3141: Major English Texts I
- ENGL BC3183: American Literature since 1945
Click here full list of fall 2014 courses requiring special enrollment procdedures.
New requirement for English majors graduating in 2014 and later: At least one of the English courses you take must be in American Literature. It can simultaneously fulfill other requirements (elective, pre-1900, etc.) where appropriate.
Jump to a summary schedule of Barnard-English-affiliated literary events for the year.
Jump to press links related to English Department faculty in the media.
page last updated 4/10/14
Right Column Copy
- Get a WARNING when you add a course to your Program? "Permission" or "Sign up through the department" means YOU ARE NOT IN the class yes. The course has restricted enrollment.
- English Courses Requiring Special Procedures to enroll.
- Registrar's instructions for L-course and other special sign-ups
- Current English courses open to First-Years.
English Main Menu
- About Us
- COURSES in English Department
- EVENTS & Readings
- FACULTY: Directory & Office Hours
- Forms and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- MAJOR Requirements
- OPPORTUNITIES for Students
- Quick Links
- Women Poets at Barnard